Water & Sewer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Who do I call if I have a problem?


Call the Water Department Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm at 919-742-4732.  Other hours call the Police Dispatcher at 919-742-5626 to be placed in contact with on-call staff.



Where does the Siler City drinking water come from?


Siler City’s drinking water comes from the primary water source of the Rocky River with approximately 50 miles of watershed.



How is the water treated for drinking purposes?


The water from the Rocky River is treated at the Town of Siler City’s treatment plant.  During treatment source water under goes a series of processes including coagulation, sedimentation, filtration and disinfection.  Treated water is required to meet strenuous standards set by the US EPA and the NC Department of Environmental & Natural Resources.



Why do sewer lines block?


Many things can become lodged in a sewer line causing a back-up such as sticks, rocks, bricks, pieces of broken pipe, grease, paper towels, newspapers, plastics, etc.  Many blockages occur as a result of tree roots growing in the sewer pipes.  Roots collect grease and animal fat poured down drains.  Over a period of time this collection of debris can cause an obstruction.  You can help prevent sewer back-ups in your home and protect the environment if you would adhere to the following advice:


1.       Do not use the toilet as a garbage can.  Do not flush rags, plastic items,

cigarette butts, etc. which may clog your sewer line.  The minimum

size of a pipe carrying wastewater from a building to the sewer is

four inches.  


2.       Never put grease from cooking down the sink drain.  This will harden

and clog the line, including the main.



What ways are available to pay my water bill?


There are now four ways in which to pay your monthly water bill:


1.       Bank Drafts (bring voided check to office to sign up for this service)


2.       Drop Box (located in front of City Hall at the driveway, available

24 hours a day)


3.       US Mail (mail early to avoid cutoff)


4.       Pay in person at the Water Department (office hours 8:30 am to 5:00 pm)



How do I get further information?


You can ontact the Public Works Department at 919-742-4732.